Tuesday, January 23, 2007

"Lest We Forget":
The Best Forgotten Authors/Books

The Guardian's book blog explores forgotten authors, particularly recommending Alfred Chester, an American author whom I'm admittedly unfamiliar with, although he sounds worth tracking down. (Coincidental sidenote: Chester's papers are housed at my alma mater.) One can only hope that his writing is as interesting as his life:

Here was someone who was courageous enough to be openly gay in the 1950s, but who vainly tried to hide his baldness (brought on by a childhood disease) under a crazy ginger toupee, and who forbade any words relating to hair or wigs to be mentioned in his presence.

After shining briefly, his supernova-like talent burnt out when he was still a young man. Unrecognised by the public, and not enough loved by the critics, he was driven to despair and madness.

More generally, this post got me thinking...what authors or books do I like that may have drifted into obscurity (or out of fashion)? I don't consider myself an especially exotic reader in that sense, but I do cherish a few favorites that most people seem to pass by. I'll list them for now and probably describe their individual merits at a later point.

Barabbas by Pär Lagerkvist
Jerusalem by Selma Lagerlöf
(the first female winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature)
(I like my Swedes, obviously!)
The Damnation of Theron Ware by Harold Frederic
A Death in the Family by James Agee
(I know this won a Pulitzer and all, but I've met very few people who've actually read it.)
And the most prominent move from obscurity to critical favor that I can think of,
Call It Sleep by Henry Roth

Oh, and let's not forget John Grisham...

For more info on books that have fallen by the wayside, check out Forgotten Classics blog, The Neglected Books Page, Moorish Girl’s Unappreciated Books Archive, and The Lost Books Club.

Also, any recommendations from anyone out there? I'm always on the prowl for good reads!

3 comments:

JM said...

Two of your list are among my most memorable works of fiction (thanks for introducing them to me btw) --- Barabas and the Damnation of Theron Ware. I actually have been rereading Theron Ware lately and it is an interesting read and has definitely wonder how much my theological changes have been due to the same tugs that Theron felt (actually I don't think that is the case, but it does make you think for sure).

k said...

You're most welcome. =]

I think that Frederic (who was not a believer but, as I recall, a self-described religious atheist) captures the conflict between spiritual idealism/yearning and intellectual doubt better than just about anyone I've read. I wish more Christians--or heck, more people, period--would read this unjustly neglected book.

And if you're rereading it, check out this study guide: http://helios.acomp.usf.edu/~rrogers/index.html. It looks surprisingly thorough and well-done.

k said...

Oh, and are there any neglected books that you'd like to recommend?