Friday, January 26, 2007

Text Messages Improve Literacy?

Call me an old fogey, but I have yet to be swept up into the thrilling world of text messaging (probably because I tend to find that world more annoying than thrilling). However, I am apparently missing out on untold opportunities for erudition: "Mobile phones improve literacy, says researchers."

Researchers at Melbourne University are conducting trials in schools and technical colleges to see how mobile phones can boost learning and claim to be achieving remarkable success. Instead of seeing mobiles as simply communication devices, they say they can serve as hand-held computers, as the next stage along from laptops....
In an article in the journal Professional Educator, Elizabeth Hartnell-Young, a Melbourne University researcher, says it is time to give mobile phones a new name. Ms. Hartnell-Young said: "It's understandable that many educators view these phones as a huge distraction, dreadful intrusions and tools of the evil 'snapperazi'. But as with all tools of learning, once a purpose is established, mobile devices will have a role to play."
A rational behind the Melbourne project was that students are using technology they value and with which they feel comfortable. In the trials, students have used the phones' cameras to create 'digital stories' and share information. For some students who find writing difficult, the phones have improved their literacy.
As an example, Dr Hartnell-Young refers to three boys from Palmerston high school in the Northern Territory who are using the phones to develop their writing and reading skills: capturing images, writing about them, and emailing the work to friends, families and teachers. The school's principal said he had been looking for something to excite disengaged students and had been "overwhelmed by the resulting enthusiasm".

Adding to the text message mania, a novel composed entirely of text messages (The Last Messages by Finnish writer Hannu Luntiala) has entered the scene. (It was only a matter of time, I suppose.)
“I believe that, at the end of the day, a text message may reveal much more about a person than you would initially think,” said Luntiala.

But a few years earlier, Chinese author Qian Fuchang beat Luntiala to the punch...sort of. While Luntiala produced an actual physical book (made of paper, etc.) whose text itself was a series of text messages, Qian Fuchang composed a novel (Out of the Fortress) and distributed it exclusively via text messages (although he sold the rights to the novel, so it will most likely find its way to conventional print).

"Out of the Fortress," showed up on tens of thousands of mobile telephone screens on Friday. It is the text-message novel, a new literary genre for the harried masses in a society that seems to be redefining what it means to be harried.
Weighing in at a mere 4,200 characters, "Out of the Fortress" is like a marriage of haiku and Hemingway, and will be published for its audience of cellphone readers at a bite-size, 70 characters at a time - including spaces and punctuation marks - in two daily installments. Other "readers" may choose to place a call to the "publisher," hurray.com.cn, a short text-message distribution company, to listen to a recording of each day's story as it unfolds. All this for a small fee charged, like any text message, directly to the readers' mobile phone accounts.

4 comments:

JM said...

What are you reading this week? I missing reading your blog ;-)

(I'm reading Catch-22, one of the funniest books I've ever read.)

k said...

Hey! I didn't know you were going to be up this late, or I would've called you! (As a matter of fact, I picked up the phone to call you around 11:30 but figured it was too late. Bummer!)

If it makes you feel better, I have sucked all-around this week--both in keeping in touch with people and in updating my blog! I'll try to remedy both SOON. When's the latest I can call this week?

Oh, and I'm reading Possession by A.S. Byatt at the moment, but for whatever reason, I'm proceeding at a snail's pace. (Seriously, I think I busted through War and Peace faster than this.) I'm also in the beginning/middle of a biography of James Agee. (I don't know if you ever read his book, A Death In The Family, but it's terrific and terrifically underappreciated.)

Sadly, January has not proven a particularly fruitful reading month for me, so I'm hoping to read much more productively in February. How's Catch-22? (You've read it before, right?) Definitely hilarious though somehow simultaneously depressing. (Is it just me, or do you read it that way, too?)

JM said...

Actualy I never have read it before. It was one of 4 books of fiction that my friend R gave me when I graduated law school --- So far I've only finished one of them (Franny & Zoey), and besides Catch-22 have Henderson the Rain King (by Saul Bellow) and The Invisible Man (by Ralph Ellison) to read. So far I'm averaging about 1 a year of her books.

Also you gave me A Death in the Family, but I haven't read it yet. Maybe I'll start it after I finish Catch-22.

JM said...

Here's another article on this subject...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/02/09/chat.lingo.ap/index.html
CNN/AP: Students use IM-lingo in essays