Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Latest Acquisitions

I finally satisfied my book-buying urges with a recent binge at Half-Price Books in Corpus Christi, Texas, my favorite bookstore in the whole wide world. I think Corpus must be where literary types go to die and then leave behind their fabulous book collections, because Half-Price in Corpus has the best selection (and prices) of any used store I know.

Anyway, thanks to my friend, J/M, and my sister-in-law for financing the shopping trip with birthday gift cards. Y'all must know that the way to this girl's heart is through her bookshelves.

But enough of the preliminaries--on to the haul! Here's what I ended up with:

Bee Season by Myla Goldberg
The Lottery: And Other Stories by Shirley Jackson
For Kings and Planets by Ethan Canin
The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories by Sarah Orne Jewett
The Ha-Ha by Dave King
Littlejohn by Howard Owen
Matches by Alan Kaufman
The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard
Headlong by Michael Frayn
Big If by Mark Costello
Cherry by Mary Karr
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Pitch Dark by Renata Adler
The Plumed Serpent by D. H. Lawrence
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Little Children by Tom Perrotta
Postcards by Annie Proulx
The Plot Against America by Philip Roth
Galatea 2.2 by Richard Powers
Pamela by Samuel Richardson
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Old School by Tobias Wolff
Mating by Norman Rush
Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
How to Read and Why by Harold Bloom
Finding a Form: Essays by William H. Gass

Hooray! So many good books...it warms my heart.

1 comments:

JM said...

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Reading Lolita in Tehran. I've heard it is a very good read.